RE: [HACKERS] Readline use in trouble? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Mount
Subject RE: [HACKERS] Readline use in trouble?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce wrote:

[snip]

> > Although I haven't been paying close attention to the Ghostscript
> > situation, I suspect that the real story is either that the readline
> > interface code that someone contributed to Ghostscript was
contributed
> > with GPL terms already attached to it, or that Aladdin is concerned
>
> Oh, that is an interesting issue that I never considered.  Reminds us
we
> can't use GPL code.

That was why when I merged Adrian's and my JDBC drivers for inclusion, I
used Adrians as the core, and re-wrote the additions I made to mine to
it, as mine was GPL'ed, and his wasn't.

Just a thought: How does this affect anything placed in the contrib
directory? If someone writes a tool under the GPL, can it be included
under the src/contrib directory, or would we fall foul just because it's
included with our source?

I don't think we have a problem with the CD distribution, as they are
clearly separate, but contrib is not that clear cut.

Peter

--
Peter Mount
Enterprise Support