Re: [GENERAL] Archive logging - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Archive logging
Date
List pgsql-general
> Sorry -- I should have clarified my terms. What I am
> referring to is the ability to recover the database to
> any select point in time.
>
> Oracle(tm) calls this a redo log, and, when archiving
> is turned on, there is a continuous string of historic
> transactions that can be applied, if necessary, to a
> previously taken backup, thereby recovering to a
> point-in-time.

They keep their transaction rollback log in a separate area, and back
that up periodically to do the restores.  We keep our rollback stuff in
the database, and it says until a vacuum is performed.  That makes it
harder for us to pull out the redo log information for seprate periodic
backup.