Re: [GENERAL] advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
>     Works != works as well as SCSI.  I've yet to find an example where
> IDE works as well as SCSI in real life (vs. benchmarks).  My real life
> scenarios rarely involve telling a machine to be still so we can do a disk
> read, then again for a disk write.

Probably true.  IDE can not access more than one drive at a time, and
requires CPU to complete the data transfers.

> # People have been commenting lately that postgres on Solaris is very slow
> # compared to Linux. Apparently certain file system operations on Solaris
> # is _slow_.
>
>     Slow, however more robust than the same in Linux.  Linux achieves
> a lot of speed by throwing away safety nets.  Sometimes, these safety nets
> are important.

Yes, it is hard to write code that is fast for small cases, but scales
well for large cases.  It can be done, it is just not easy.