Re: [HACKERS] Core dump in regression tests. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas A. Szybist
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Core dump in regression tests.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
In message <199808302324.TAA28018@candle.pha.pa.us>, Bruce Momjian writes:
> > I recompiled the latest cvs with -O2 and found that the crash on
> > table creation was NOT now failing so I'm a little confused :-(
> >
> > I'm just updating my cvs, and will do another build and see how
> > things go.
> >
> > If only I had the same failures as before I'd be able to confirm
> > your suspicions on indexing.c
> >
> > Til Later,
> > Keith.
> >

> OK, I am applying my patch now.  I certainly fixes a potential problem,
> so I suspect it will fix the problems you are seeing.
>
> Thomas, perhaps it will fix the regression problems too.  No way to
> know.
>
> Here is the new while loop.  Much better.

>     sd = index_beginscan(idesc, false, num_keys, skey);
>     while (indexRes = index_getnext(sd, ForwardScanDirection))
>     {
>         ItemPointer iptr;
>
>         iptr = &indexRes->heap_iptr;
>         tuple = heap_fetch(heapRelation, SnapshotNow, iptr, &buffer);
>         pfree(indexRes);
>         if (HeapTupleIsValid(tuple))
>             break;
>     }
>
> --
> Bruce Momjian                          |  830 Blythe Avenue
> maillist@candle.pha.pa.us              |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026
>   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  (610) 353-9879(w)
>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  (610) 853-3000(h)

I tried patching indexing.c with this new loop--no luck.  I just
checked out a fresh copy, still no luck.  I don't understand why it now
works for Keith.

Yesterday I tried this on Solaris, but I was bitten by not having
flock.

Tom Szybist
szybist@boxhill.com