Running version 6.3.2 pg_dump on a 6.1 database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From bower@image.Kodak.COM (J Christopher Bower)
Subject Running version 6.3.2 pg_dump on a 6.1 database
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,
    I am trying to upgrade to postgres 6.3.2 from 6.1.  I am having problems
    dumping the 6.1 database with 6.1  pg_dump.  I was told that the 6.3.2
    pg_dump will dump a 6.1 database.  I get the following error:

    be_recvauth: unrecognized message type: 65536
    postmaster: ConnStartup: Failed to authenticate client as Postgres
    user 'bower' using <unknown authentication type>: be_recvauth:
    unrecognized message type: 65536

    Connection to database 'imagelib' failed.
    Failed to authenticate client as Postgres user 'bower' using <unknown
    authentication type>: be_recvauth: unrecognized message type: 65536

    Should I be able to dump the 6.1 database, running the 6.1 postmaster
    with the 6.3.2 pg_dump? If so how?  If not where can I get a 6.1 pg_dump
    that works? I have looked for patches, but can not find any.  I read that    the 6.2 pg_dump will dump a 6.1
databasebut cannot find it anywhere
    either. Thanks in advance for any help.