Re: disaster recovery - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: disaster recovery
Date
List pgsql-general
Doug McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org> writes:
> Alex Satrapa <alex@lintelsys.com.au> writes:
>> 1) Under Linux, if you have the file system containing the WAL mounted
>> with asynchronous writes, "all bets are off".
> Even with ext2, WAL files are preallocated and PG calls fsync() after
> writing, so in practice it's not likely to cause problems.

Um.  I took the reference to "mounted with async write" to mean a
soft-mounted NFS filesystem.  It does not matter which OS you think is
the one true OS --- running a database over NFS is the act of someone
with a death wish.  But, yeah, soft-mounted NFS is a particularly
malevolent variety ...

            regards, tom lane