Re: --enable-ccache configure option - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: --enable-ccache configure option
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Andres Freund wrote:
>>> What exactly would it do? I use ccache all the time, have for years,
>>> but it's not clear to me what can usefully be done by configure.

>> Use ccache without having to set it up individually for CC, CLANG, CXX.

> Umm, I just add /usr/lib/ccache somewhere in PATH (ahead of the compiler
> binaries) which is enough to make it all work.

On my preferred distros (ie Red Hat), ccache is used automatically;
there is nothing that needs to be done in configure AFAIK.  (It looks
like this happens by dint of the same thing Alvaro mentions, ie the
standard PATH has /usr/lib(64)?/ccache in front of the actual compilers.)
It'd be important not to break such setups in trying to make it happen
elsewhere.