How to implement autostart of postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavrina, Irina
Subject How to implement autostart of postgres?
Date
Re: How to implement autostart of postgres?  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
Re: How to implement autostart of postgres?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general

Hello All,

I’ve faced with the following problem: I’m trying to implement the auto start of postgres. My way is to use inittab:
pg:2345:respawn:/bin/su - postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster
-D/usr/local/pgsql/data >> /usr/local/pgsql/server.log 2>&1" /dev/null
But this approach does not work as I wished in case of the postmaster process dies - it can not be restarted until all child processes are stopped. And I have to do it manually.
Is there any way to implement autostart of postgres after the postmaster process dies?
Probably there is a configuration if the postmaster process dies all child processes are killed?  But I can find nothing like this in documentation.

Or maybe there is another solution to implement auto start of postgres? Any help are very appreciated.

Also I’ve read about a patch of Peter Geoghegan regarding the waking on postmaster death functionality:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-05/msg01196.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-announce/2011-06/msg00016.php
Will this patch be included in any release? If yes then when it is planned?

I’m using the PostgreSQL 9.0.4 version.

Thanks in advance,

Irina