Re: Failed to initialize lc_messages 7.3b5 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Failed to initialize lc_messages 7.3b5
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hervé Piedvache <herve@elma.fr> writes:
> I don't know if it's important or not ... but on my linux Debian woody, with
> fr_FR@euro parameter when I do the initdb I've got a creating template1
> database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1... Failed to initialize lc_messages
> to ''

> I just would like to know what that's mean exactly ...

It means your platform doesn't accept "fr_FR@euro" as a setting for
LC_MESSAGES.  Since "fr_FR@euro" is evidently accepted as a setting for
other LC_ variables, this is a bug in the locale definition, which you
should report to the Debian folk.

Until they fix it, you can probably work around it by starting the
postmaster with LC_MESSAGES explicitly set to something different than
LANG/LC_ALL are (maybe plain "fr_FR" would work).  I think you will need
to adjust lc_messages in postgresql.conf as well.