Re: Unintended restart after recovery error - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Antonin Houska
Subject Re: Unintended restart after recovery error
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Antonin Houska <ah@cybertec.at> wrote:

> While looking at postmaster.c:reaper(), one problematic case occurred to me.
>

> 1. Startup process signals PMSIGNAL_RECOVERY_STARTED.
>
> 2. Checkpointer process is forked and immediately dies.
>
> 3. reaper() catches this failure, calls HandleChildCrash() and thus sets
> FatalError to true.
>
> 4. Startup process exits with non-zero status code too - either due to SIGQUIT
> received from HandleChildCrash or due to some other failure of the startup
> process itself. However, FatalError is already set, because of the previous
> crash of the checkpointer. Thus reaper() does not set RecoveryError.
>
> 5. As RecoverError failed to be set to true, postmaster will try to restart
> the cluster, although it apparently should not.

More common case occurred to me as soon as I sent the previous mail: any
process of standby cluster has died. Thus the proposed fix would make
restart_after_crash (GUC) completely ineffective for standbys. I'm not sure if
that's desired. Question is whether RecoveryError should reflect problems
during any kind of recovery, or just during crash recovery.

--
Antonin Houska
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH