Re: warm standby replication safe failover - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: warm standby replication safe failover
Date
List pgsql-novice
Andrew Puschak <apuschak@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm new here and have a question. I'm working on a replacement PostgreSQL
> 8.4 setup for a small company. They now have a Primary postgres server and
> 2 secondaries which are replicated using Slony-I, however the consulting
> company that set it up is afraid to failover and keeping Slony running is
> taking lots of resources.

It sounds like you're trying to keep them on 8.4.  Why not move them to
some newer release branch where you can make use of streaming
replication?  Aside from the benefits of that, 8.4 will be out of
support next year, so setting up new servers with that release series
seems pretty short-sighted.

I realize that dealing with a version upgrade might not be their highest
priority right now, but they're going to have to deal with it before too
long, and doing so now would put them in position to have a far better
replication solution than what you're describing.

            regards, tom lane