Re: Fwd: [TESTERS] [TEST REPORT] 9.1Alpha3 Feature E.1.4.7.2 in release notes. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Fwd: [TESTERS] [TEST REPORT] 9.1Alpha3 Feature E.1.4.7.2 in release notes.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On tis, 2011-01-11 at 12:30 +0900, Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
>> If we won't to add accept integers for money, we should fix the docs.
>> | integer and floating-point string literals
>> |                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Will it get better?

> I think adding a cast from integer to money is probably quite
> reasonable.  The other way around, maybe not, or only an explicit cast.

As near as I can tell, this entire thread started because someone
thought that the reference to "numeric" in the release notes implied
"any numerical type", not "the type named numeric".  We explicitly
rejected the idea of providing direct casts to/from floating point
types, on the grounds of not wanting any roundoff error; so I don't
think this is a point that should be revisited.  Perhaps it would be
sufficient to clarify the release-note item.