Re: Removal of temp tables - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Removal of temp tables
Date
List pgsql-patches
> I was wondering that.  The old vacuum file detection patch had the sort
> files going into /pg_sorttemp and files called pid_.  Your changes made
> it pg_tempfile directory and pg_temp file names.  I like the older names
> that made them clear they were _not_ temp tables.  Seemed you wanted
> them to have similar names for reasons I couldn't figure.

I'm not wedded to those names; if you have a better idea, let's hear it.
I changed it because I didn't like the use of the word "sort"; temp
files are not used only for sorts, but for several other things, and so
I wanted to see them called temp files not sorttemp files.  But if you
want to change them so that they look even less like the logical names
of temp relations, that's OK with me.

            regards, tom lane