Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Another attempt at fixing Windows Norwegian locale. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Another attempt at fixing Windows Norwegian locale.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> writes:
> On 01/31/2015 09:52 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> What advice do we need to give 9.4 users?

> I just downloaded the 9.4 EDB Windows installer and tried installing it.
> initdb fails with the same error that I got after upgrading to more
> recent MSVC version. "select version()" on the EDB binaries says:

>                             version
>   PostgreSQL 9.4.0, compiled by Visual C++ build 1800, 64-bit
> (1 row)

> So there shouldn't be any existing Windows 9.4 installations that need
> manual fixing, because the current binaries will just fail.

> If there are any Norwegian users that have built Windows binaries
> themselves, though, using an older MSVC version, then they would need to
> follow the same manual fix-up steps to replace the "norwegian-bokmal"
> locale names in pg_database with "Norwegian_Norway". Until they do,
> CREATE DATABASE won't work (except with template=template0).

> I suggest that we simply remove the notice about running the manual
> steps from the 9.4.1 release notes.

Hm.  My understanding of the situation was that the "norwegian-bokmal"
solution worked on some Windows versions but not others.  So it seems
like the risk for 9.4 users is that they installed on a version where
"norwegian-bokmal" works and then someday want to migrate the database
to one where it doesn't.  Maybe we don't need to address that, but
I'm strongly tempted to keep the same instructions but phrase them
as "change norwegian-bokmal to Norwegian_Norway if it's there".