Re: pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly
Date
List pgsql-general
Buddy Lee Haystack <haystack@email.rentzone.org> writes:
> Here they are, but they seem as vague as the Apache error logs -to me anyway...

You're right, not much info there except that a backend died untimely.

Unless you had ulimit set to prevent it, the crashing backend should've
left a core file in the database subdirectory it was connected to (ie,
$PGDATA/base/DATABASENAME/core).  If so, it'd be useful to see a stack
trace from that file ... do you know how to get a stack trace with gdb?
Copy the corefile to someplace safe, in any case; we may want to
study it later.

One thing that would be real helpful to know is exactly what query the
failed backend was trying to execute.  Perhaps you know that already.
If not, but if you can reproduce the crash by rerunning your
application, then restart the postmaster with "-d2" added to its command
line arguments; that will cause each backend to log each query it
executes.

            regards, tom lane