Re: 2 x duplicate key value violation: which exception comes first ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 2 x duplicate key value violation: which exception comes first ?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Marc Mamin" <M.Mamin@intershop.de> writes:
> I've a table with 1 primary key and 1 unique index.

> I would like to handle differently the duplicate key violations
> depending on which constraints are affected.
> (Within a plpgsql CATCH block, using SQLERRM).

> It seems, that when both constraints would be violated, the exception is
> always about the primary key.

> Can I rely on that or should I expect the exception order being random ?

Offhand I think the indexes will be inserted into in OID order, which
would typically be creation order, except after a wraparound.  If you
rely on this you can expect your code to break sooner or later.

            regards, tom lane