Re: Ready to branch 7.2/7.3 ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Ready to branch 7.2/7.3 ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
>> We can branch before the minor, right?  Backpatching into the first
>> minor isn't a bigger deal than backpatching into later minors, and we
>> aren't patching much of anything now anyway.

> *rofl*  And you've been arguing *against* this for how many releases now,
> and I've tried to get you guys to go along with this for how many
> releases? :)

Hey guys: there is no black or white on this.  It's a tradeoff ---
delaying next-version development versus effort wasted to do double
patching.

In this particular cycle, I'm for an early branch because we don't seem
to have a lot of bugs coming in, and we've got a lot of development work
that people are eager to get started on (or even to apply already-done
patches, in some cases).  Both of these facts have doubtless got a lot
to do with the horrendously long release cycle for 7.2 --- which is
something I am *not* happy about.

I think the fact that we want to branch so soon after release is an
indication that we delayed the release too long.  7.2 should have been
out months ago.