Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Yes, I did, and now I see why you said there might be only a few broken
> cases.  But I did not see any documentation in the standard saying that
> was OK:
>     http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickref.html#escaping

The example on that page is just bizarre.  If the first asterisk
has to be escaped to prevent it being taken as markup, why doesn't the
second have to be?  I suppose it's because there's no "closing" asterisk
to match it, but that's not the sort of thing one ought to depend on.

> so it might be that your ReST interpreter is broken.

Looking at this I'd say the ReST standard is broken, or at least expects
unreasonably complicated behavior.  But anyway, it's quite clear that
there are *many* cases that need escaping, not only backslashes.