Re: Can't connect to server (postgresql6.2.1) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Can't connect to server (postgresql6.2.1)
Date
List pgsql-general
Stefan Mertl <zongo@gmx.at> writes:
> A software package i want to use requires postgresql version 6.2.1

"Requires"?  Have you tried getting it to play with something a little
less hoary?  Certainly we haven't been perfect about maintaining
backwards compatibility, but we try not to break things.  I'd really
recommend trying to use a recent version instead --- the number of bugs
fixed since 6.2.1 is large.

> The man pages say, that there is the -i option to allow access via
> tcp/ip, but if i'm trying to start postmaster -i it prompts me the
> help message with the different options. And there no -i option is
> mentioned.

Looking at the release history, it seems that the -i switch was added
at release 6.3, and the format of pg_hba.conf changed at the same time.
You'd better consult the documentation that goes with 6.2.1, not newer
docs.

            regards, tom lane