Can't connect to server (postgresql6.2.1) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stefan Mertl
Subject Can't connect to server (postgresql6.2.1)
Date
List pgsql-general
A software package i want to use requires postgresql version 6.2.1
Therefor i compiled and installed it, everything works fine. I can
connect to the server via psql in xterm.
But the software claims, that there is no postgre server running.
My hd_dba.conf has the correct settings:
   host        all     127.0.0.1        255.255.255.255

The man pages say, that there is the -i option to allow access via
tcp/ip, but if i'm trying to start postmaster -i it prompts me the
help message with the different options. And there no -i option is
mentioned.
Did i forget to set an option while configuring or compiling?