Re: running script on server shutdown (TODO) - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: running script on server shutdown (TODO)
Date
Re: running script on server shutdown (TODO)  (Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>)
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 21:16 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Not sure what else can be done to improve this process.

> Why is the TODO list keep in the source code repository, anyway? One
> alternative would be to move it to a wiki.

That seems unlikely to improve the quality of the list :-(.  With the
present process, entries are made after some discussion on the mailing
list, and at least most of the time there's some consensus that an idea
is good.  With a wiki, anyone could stick an item on there with no peer
review.  The only way you get any review is if people watch the wiki
as carefully as they watch the mailing lists ... and I for one don't
need any additional time sinks.

The real problem that I see is that Bruce abstracts the discussions
down into one-line summaries that frequently omit critical information.
I would like to see all the TODO items include links to the archived
threads that led up to them.  In this example, had the patch author gone
back and looked at the thread, he'd have noticed that at no point was
there a discussion of running scripts during database shutdown.

            regards, tom lane