Re: modularity of PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: modularity of PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hope Ho <ho.hope@yahoo.com> writes:
> We know that PostgreSQL is  famous  for its  good modularity, which allows users to select which part they need. It
alsoallow developers to easily replace one part without  affecting other parts.  However, as I know, most database
engine,like MySQL, has such modularity: layered architecture and small pieces of functionalities. Actually, it's a rule
recognizedby lots of software design. Why is only PostgreSQL entitled "good modularity"?

Uh, does anyone authoritative describe it that way?  I think we can
legitimately claim that Postgres is pretty extensible, but as for
modularity I'm not sure that it's got any great claim to fame.
To me modularity connotes an emphasis on dividing the system into
pieces separated by carefully-defined, small-footprint interfaces,
and we have not done spectacularly well on that score.