Re: Source ports for psql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Source ports for psql
Date
List pgsql-general
Matthew Smith <mps@utas.edu.au> writes:
> I am trying to access a postgresql server though a tightly configured
> firewall, and I'd like to know the source port range is that postgresql
> clients use to access the database.

You seem to be under the misimpression that Postgres might have
something to do with that.  We don't --- this is entirely determined
by the whims of your local kernel.  I would even go so far as to say
that if you write code that makes any assumption in this regard,
you will have only yourself to blame when (not if) it fails.

            regards, tom lane