Re: [GENERAL] Schedule - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Clark
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Schedule
Date
List pgsql-general
On 06/20/2017 09:02 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 06/20/2017 05:35 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We have customers whose equipment we monitor. Some of the customers don't run a 24/7 operation
>> and turn their equipment off when the go home. We need to create a schedule for them of when we
>> can ignore alerts from their equipment. We use postgresql in our monitoring environment to maintain
>> alerts and equipment to be monitored. Each piece of equipment has a unique unit serial number so
>> the schedule would be tied to this unit serial no.
>>
>> I would be very interested in what might be the best was to organize a scheduling table(s) in postgresql.
> Some questions:
>
> 1) What happens if someone ignores the schedule and the alert is real?
That is up in the air for now, probably if our NOC wasn't informed by the customer they
were working outside of the schedule the alert would be ignored, but then the customer
would probably call us because something wasn't working.

> 2) What are the alerts and how many are there?
Device not pingable, as an example. The alerts continue to be sent to our
monitoring system, typically at 2 minute intervals, the monitoring system would look at the schedule for that
unit a decide whether or not to ignore the alert.

> 3) How is planned downtime during scheduled work times handled?
They would get a call from our NOC if the unit was down during scheduled uptimes.

> 4) Do you want to organize by customers or equipment or both?
We have one piece of equipment at each customer that monitors one to many devices at the customer.

> 5) What is the equipment and do you or the customer provide it?
We provide the monitoring equipment, we or the customer could provide the equipment being monitored.
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Steve

Thanks for response.
Steve