Re: Running postgres with a different user/group - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gabriele Bulfon
Subject Re: Running postgres with a different user/group
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanx guys, all of your solutions are fine, but I could manage it in a different manner.
Modified the ident map file to map my special system user to postgres, so I don't have to
specify the postgres user any more ;)

Thanx!
Gabriele.

-= Mail sent through WebTop2 =-

Da: Gabriele Bartolini <Gabriele.Bartolini@2ndQuadrant.it>
A: Gabriele Bartolini <Gabriele.Bartolini@2ndQuadrant.it>
Cc: Gabriele Bulfon <gbulfon@sonicle.com> pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Data: 3 novembre 2010 12.26.04 CET
Oggetto: Re: [GENERAL] Running postgres with a different user/group

Hi Gabriele,

I forgot to mention one thing.

> That means that PostgreSQL is successfully running. Try and connect to
the
> database using a different user by passing the '-U' option to psql or by
> setting the PGUSER environment variable.

PostgreSQL creates a role/user inside the cluster with the same name as
the user that ran initdb.

Try and connect to either the postgres or the template1 database, by
executing:

psql template1

or

psql postgres

and then type:

\du

This will give you a list of the roles (users) inside the database.

Please make sure you specify the right port and host (or Unix socket) to
psql.

Ciao,
Gabriele

--