Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 06/09/2017 11:58 AM, Tobias May wrote:
> Mellow Greetings all,
>
> I'm a junior DBA and PostgreSQL-enthusiast. Last year I switched to a
> company where they promised to me the opportunity to dive deeper into
> PostgreSQL.
>
> At that time there was a lead developer, who was a
> PostgreSQL-enthusiast, too. And there was an agreement that PostgreSQL
> is the primary database backend for our product. Unfortunately she has
> been frozen out by non-technical decision makers. Now there is only one
> colleague and me (without authority to decide) left to advocate PostgreSQL.
>
> Most of the developers in the company are used to MySQL. Although they
> seem to accept PostgreSQL some still subtly question the decision and
> I'm feeling, that I have to constantly defend the decision for PostgreSQL.

I suggest you try a different tack: ask the developers what they
*specifically* don't like about PostgreSQL.  It's quite possible that
their issues are things you could easily help with -- like installing
PostgreSQL on their laptops, or permissions.  If you remove their main
reasons to gripe, then things will be a lot easier.

--
Josh Berkus
Containers & Databases Oh My!