Re: [HACKERS] Pg V10: Patch for bug in bonjour support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Pg V10: Patch for bug in bonjour support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 5:03 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Is the AC_SEARCH_LIBS configure call needed to make PG build with the
>> FreeBSD package?

> Yes.  My take is that the commit was correct: the library is needed
> for --with-bonjour to work on non-macOS systems, and apparently it can
> work (though I didn't personally try to assess that beyond seeing that
> it could start up and connect to mdnsd).  Perhaps Avahi doesn't
> qualify as a suitable Bonjour implementation any more though, and
> someone out there might like to consider writing a --with-avahi option
> that uses the native API it's shouting about.

I'm not sure what to do at this point.  I concur that the AC_SEARCH_LIBS
call is helpful if you're using mDNSResponder on FreeBSD (or wherever
else that may be available) ... but I'm worried that it will enable
people to create broken builds on Linux without trying very hard.
We might be wise to deem that putting that call in is just creating
an attractive nuisance.

This would certainly be easier if we had a certifiably-working interface
to the avahi library.  But we don't, and I don't plan to write one,
and I doubt anyone else will come out of the woodwork to do it either.

Is there really much interest in Bonjour support on non-macOS platforms?
I hadn't heard that anybody but Apple was invested in it.