Re: Patch: use SCM_CREDS authentication over PF_LOCAL sockets - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch: use SCM_CREDS authentication over PF_LOCAL sockets
Date
Re: Patch: use SCM_CREDS authentication over PF_LOCAL sockets
List pgsql-patches
wollman@LCS.MIT.EDU writes:
> The following set of patches (relative to 7.1.2 release) implement
> SCM_CREDS authentication for local connections.

Unfortunately, there's little chance that this will apply cleanly to
current sources, since we've restructured the postmaster's handling of
the authorization process.

A more significant objection is that you've extended the wire protocol
by adding a new authorization protocol, but have fixed only one client
library and not touched the protocol documentation at all.  There's a
lot more work needed to make this a complete patch.

BTW, current sources already contain support for using
getsockopt(SO_PEERCRED) where available --- AFAIK that's only Linux,
but perhaps that's all you need.

            regards, tom lane