Re: Alpha releases: How to tag - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Alpha releases: How to tag
Date
Re: Alpha releases: How to tag  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: Alpha releases: How to tag  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
Re: Alpha releases: How to tag  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Does it need a version number change? Maybe just a tag (no branch) is
> all that is required.

I think that we do want the alpha releases to identify themselves as
such.  And we want a marker in CVS as to what state the alpha release
corresponds to.  Peter's label-and-undo approach seems like a kluge;
and it doesn't scale to consider the possibility that we might
want to re-release an alpha after fixing some particularly evil bug.
A tag without a branch won't handle that either.

I feel that making a branch is the way to go.  If we try to get away
with a shortcut, we'll probably regret it.