Re: PHP stuff - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Woodward
Subject Re: PHP stuff
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>>>Uh, but that's what the BSD license allows --- relicensing as any other
>>>license, including commercial.
>>
>> The point remains that Chris, by himself, does not hold the copyright on
>> the PG docs and therefore cannot assign it to anyone.
>>
>> ISTM the PHP guys are essentially saying that they will only take stuff
>> that is clearly authored by the individual contributor.  Which is a good
>> safe position for them to take.  They are trying to stay out of gray
>> areas, and therefore they are not going to want docs that are just
>> cut-and-pasted from community property.
>
> Argh.  Well here comes a copy and paste PHP docs patch with a some
> 'rephrasings'... Since the PHP API to pgsql is identical to libpq's...

Technically, that is still a derived work.

I would say that "The PostgreSQL Global Development Group" or its
representatives (I'm assuming Tom, Bruce, and/or Marc Fournier) just has
to give something written, that says Christopher Kings-Lynne of "your
address, city, country, etc"  has the right to re-license or distribute
under the PHP license the PostgreSQL documentation to the PHP group for
the purpose of documenting the PostgreSQL object relational system, etc.
etc.

Once that is done, and the Representatives of "The PostgreSQL Global
Development Group" have signed off, you should just be allowed to copy. In
fact, I would say that is the best way to do it. Even copying and
rephrasing is copyright infringement. The only way around it is the
Phoenix technology method, where an unspoiled writer would take
instructions from you and your read of the original documentation.

Seriously, this should happen anyway. The PHP guys are not doing due
diligence on what they accept.