Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> To this point, and perhaps to the other regarding VIEW definitions to
> some extent, while the solution would move us from 80% to 90% of "things
> in PG that might cause a restore from an older pg_dump to fail", I think
> another metric we should consider is "% of our user base, particularly
> those more junior, that would benefit".  I feel that number to be >10%,
> and growing.  Additionally, those that this would really help are the
> same people who don't have complex views and/or stored procedures.

Um, I rather doubt that experience level has much of anything to do with
one's probability of getting blindsided by new SQL syntax.

            regards, tom lane

PS: unless your definition of "experienced" is "sits on the SQL standards
committee" ;-)