Re: postgresql performance tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgresql performance tuning
Date
List pgsql-performance
Alan Stange <stange@rentec.com> writes:
> Vivek Khera wrote:
>> what evidence do you have that you are suffering index bloat?

> The files for the two indices on a single table used 7.8GB of space
> before a reindex, and 4.4GB after.

That's not bloat ... that's pretty nearly in line with the normal
expectation for a btree index, which is about 2/3rds fill factor.
If the compacted index were 10X smaller then I'd agree that you have
a bloat problem.

Periodic reindexing on this scale is not doing a lot for you except
thrashing your disks --- you're just giving space back to the OS that
will shortly be sucked up again by the same index.

            regards, tom lane