Re: Which postgresql should i choose to migrate from 8.3 ? 8.4 or 9.1? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alan Hodgson
Subject Re: Which postgresql should i choose to migrate from 8.3 ? 8.4 or 9.1?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 11:52:26 AM Ing.Edmundo.Robles.Lopez wrote:
> Please, could you help to give peace of mind to my boss and make sure
> that the version we choose to be as smooth as possible compatible with
> version 8.3?

All compatibility changes are indicated in the upgrade notes from one version
to another. Read them, see if they apply to you.

Install 9.1 on a test server. Test it with your data. It's free :)

> indeed to restore the dump of the 83 in 9.1 had a bug in UTF-8, will I
> have the same problem with the 8.4???

Probably. If you have data in your UTF-8 database that is not valid UTF-8 you
will eventually need to clean it up.

Also, some of the default config options have changed (in particular bytea
encoding options); they were the only issues I ran into when upgrading. But
only you know what features your applications use.