Re: PHP stuff - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Woodward
Subject Re: PHP stuff
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Mark Woodward wrote:
>> > I would say that "The PostgreSQL Global Development Group" or its
>> > representatives (I'm assuming Tom, Bruce, and/or Marc Fournier) just
>> > has to give something written, that says Christopher Kings-Lynne of
>> > "your address, city, country, etc"  has the right to re-license or
>> > distribute under the PHP license the PostgreSQL documentation to the
>> > PHP group for the purpose of documenting the PostgreSQL object
>> > relational system, etc. etc.
>>
>> The license of the PostgreSQL documentation does not give the right to
>> relicense it nor does it give "representatives" the right to give
>> someone permission to relicense it.  The only right you have is to use
>> it under the terms spelled out in the license.
>
> Uh, is our documentation not BSD licensed?  When someone makes a
> closed-source version of PostgreSQL, are they just adding to the
> existing BSD license?

The BSD license requires that original copyright owner maintain ownership
of copyright. The PHP guys want the works to be under PHP ownership.
Specifically:

PostgreSQL Database Management System
(formerly known as Postgres, then as Postgres95)

Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2005, The PostgreSQL Global Development Group

Portions Copyright (c) 1994, The Regents of the University of California

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation for any purpose, without fee, and without a written
agreement is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and
this paragraph and the following two paragraphs appear in all copies.