9.1 release scheduling (was Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject 9.1 release scheduling (was Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Actually, the summer is *excellent* from a publicity perspective ... at least, June and July are.  Both of those
monthsare full of US conferences whose PR we can piggyback on to make a splash.

> August is really the only "bad" month from a PR perspective, because we lose a lot of our European RCs, and there's
nobandwagons to jump on.  But even August has the advantage of having no major US or Christian holidays to interfere
withrelease dates.

> However, we're more likely to have an issue with *packager* availability in August.  Besides, isn't this a little
premature? Last I looked, we still have some big nasty open items.

Well, we're trying to fix them --- I'm still hoping that the known beta
blockers will be cleared by Thursday so we can ship beta2.  However,
what happens after that is uncertain.  I'm concerned that once the CF
starts, the number of developer cycles devoted to 9.1 testing will go to
zero, meaning that four weeks or so from now when the CF is over, we'll
have made no real progress beyond beta2.  It's hard to see how we have a
release before August if that's how things stand in early July.