Re: data-checksums - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: data-checksums
Date
List pgsql-general
On 01/09/2018 12:22 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
>>> Why believe, when you can measure?
>> yup doing that.  But I still feel that PG documentation should stay
>> away from such scare mongering.  Or did the lawyers write that :)
> So we should rather lie about it having a potential for performance
> impact? Who'd be helped by that?

It isn't a lie, it depends on the workload and hardware. Adjusting the
documentation to say something like the following probably isn't a bad idea:

The use of the data checksum feature may incur a performance penalty.
However, this does depend on your particular workload and provisioned
hardware. It is wise to test the feature based on your specific
requirements.

JD

PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****