Re: Porting PostgreSQL to DragonFly BSD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Porting PostgreSQL to DragonFly BSD
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Rumko <rumcic@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sunday 27. of February 2011 23:50:17 Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> It seems to me that it would be easier to just map dragonfly to the
>> freebsd template.

> I didn't see a precedence for that kind of introduction of a new platform (all
> others seem to have their own templates), so thought it would've had less
> chance of being accepted.

When I looked at that patch, I actually couldn't see anything different
at all from freebsd.  We aren't interested in maintaining 99% duplicate
code --- it seems much easier from a maintenance standpoint to introduce
an ifdef or two into the freebsd code, rather than deal with a large cut
and paste job.  Please try it that way and see what you come up with.
(It's possible that it'll be so ugly that we agree your original patch
is better, but we need to see the results of the experiment.)