Re: Old/New - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bob Pawley
Subject Re: Old/New
Date
Re: Old/New  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
I haven't found any documentation on how the underlying structure of
PostgreSQL actually operates. So I have had to extrapolate.

I think what you are saying is that on an update of a field  the whole row
which includes that field is affected to the extent that the whole row falls
under the rules of New/Old.

Is that a fair statement?

However the present problem is that I get two or multiple rows returned when
I update the pump1 field to 'True' - even when there is only a single row in
the table.

The complete After Update trigger follows -

 Begin

 If new.pump1 = 'True'

 then

 Insert into p_id.devices (p_id_id, process_id, fluid_id, status,
process_graphics_id, device_description)
 values (new.p_id_id, new.process_id, new.fluid_id, 'Pump #1', '11',
'Pump');

 End if;

 If new.pump2 = 'True'

 then

 Insert into p_id.devices (p_id_id, process_id, fluid_id, status,
process_graphics_id, device_description)
 values (new.p_id_id, new.process_id, new.fluid_id, 'Pump #2', '11',
'Pump');

 End if ;

 RETURN NULL;

 END;