Re: data checksums - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christophe Pettus
Subject Re: data checksums
Date
Re: data checksums
List pgsql-general

> On Aug 6, 2024, at 08:11, bruno vieira da silva <brunogiovs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> so my question is why data checksums aren't enabled by default on pg?

At this point, mostly historical reasons.  They're also superfluous if your underlying file system or storage hardware
doesstorage-level corruption checks (which most don't).

> the pg doc
> mentions a considerable performance penality, how considerable it is?

That line is probably somewhat out of date at this point.  We haven't seen a significant slowdown in enabling them on
anymodern hardware.  I always turn them on, except on the type of filesystems/hardware mentioned above.