Re: Core dump on PG 7.1.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Core dump on PG 7.1.3
Date
Re: Core dump on PG 7.1.3  ("David Esposito" <dvesposito@newnetco.com>)
List pgsql-general
"David Esposito" <dvesposito@newnetco.com> writes:
> However, since this problem needs to be fixed, I see myself being
> able to do one of two things ...
> - Recompiling PG 7.1.3 using the debug symbols ..
> - Upgrading to PG 7.2
> Is there anything I'm missing here that I could try that is non-invasive?

Recompiling with debug symbols should be reasonably non-invasive,
assuming that you can otherwise duplicate the configuration options.
(If you're using locally built executables this shouldn't be hard;
not sure what's involved if you are using RPMs that came from somewhere
else.)

Updating to 7.2 would imply a dump and restore, which'd very likely make
the problem go away --- but then we'd not learn anything about what
caused the crash.  If the underlying bug still exists in 7.2 then it
might someday bite you again.  Are you more interested in getting up and
running ASAP, or in helping to debug the problem?

            regards, tom lane