Re: 8.0.X and the ARC patent - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.0.X and the ARC patent
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mark Wong <markw@osdl.org> writes:
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 03:15:54PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Thanks.  This seems odd though, since it appears to level out at
>> something above 4K TPM.  Your previous run
>> http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/dev4-010/311/
>> shows it dropping to 3500 or so.  What changed?

> Other than pulling from CVS at a different time, it should all be
> the same parameters, etc.

Hmph.  The truth is probably somewhere in between these two curves.
But in any case, I think we can make the conclusion we wanted to
make: 2Q isn't seriously worse than ARC.  Since this is a dead line
of development anyway in view of the early results with the clock
sweep algorithm, I don't think there's any need to spend more time
measuring the differences carefully.

I'll go ahead and apply the 2Q patch to the 8.0 branch, unless there
are objections?