Re: pgsql: Fix bogus %name-prefix option syntax in all our Bison files. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Fix bogus %name-prefix option syntax in all our Bison files.
Date
List pgsql-committers
> On 2014-05-28 22:55:28 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
>> On 2014-05-28 19:42:35 +0000, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Fix bogus %name-prefix option syntax in all our Bison files.

>> Are you sure about this? When I saw those warnings first after debian
>> unstable got bison 3.0 I've read the release notes and interpreted it
>> differently: By accident *only* the = syntax worked for a long time. Then
>> somewhere around 2.8 they added the syntax without =. That means that <
>> 2.8 versions are likely not to work anymore.

> According to git tag --contains the syntax without = has been added in
> 2.4 (not 2.8 as I'd remembered) which was released 2008-11-02. It's
> warning since 3.0 which was released 2013-07-25.

Yeah, that's what the buildfarm is showing: members with bison 2.3 or
less are failing :-(.

> It's imo not realistic to rely on bison >= 2.4, at least not in the
> backbranches. Pretty damn annoying. We'll have to live with those
> warnings for a couple of years.

Agreed; even relatively modern platforms such as OS X 10.9 are still
shipping 2.3, or maybe even lower.  Considering that up to now our
benchmark requirement was bison 1.875, requiring 2.4 is a pretty big
jump just to get rid of a warning.

I guess we have to revert this, and IMO we should also lobby the Bison
people to not emit the deprecation warnings yet.

            regards, tom lane