Re: Useability of -current? (CVS) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Useability of -current? (CVS)
Date
List pgsql-general
Neil Conway <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org> writes:
> How stable are the current pre-7.1 sources in CVS? A number of features
> I'd like to use have been implemented (TOAST primarily), and I'd like to
> be able to use them while writing my app.
> This will be for development only, not production. Will I be able to
> get work done with 7.1pre?

Sure.  The only thing I know of that's annoyingly broken at the moment
is that psql's \d functions aren't handling views properly --- psql is
a little behind the curve on the view relkind change.  People don't
normally commit unusable code to CVS, because the other developers will
get on their case if the development system is unusable.

The major disadvantage of trying to get work done with CVS-tip code
is that you risk having to do an initdb any time you update.  As long
as you can live with that, go for it.

> Are there any current issues I should watch out for?

Don't think so.  Feel free to submit bug reports if you find problems.

            regards, tom lane