Re: contrib/pg_filedump - PostgreSQL File Dump Utility - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: contrib/pg_filedump - PostgreSQL File Dump Utility
Date
List pgsql-patches
Barry Lind <barry@xythos.com> writes:
> In following this thread, one question that was raised in my mind is
> what is the intended purpose of the contrib directory?

In my mind it's stuff that's not ready for prime time, but might be
useful as-is to at least some people.

> I had thought
> that the purpose was as a place to put code that was experimental, or
> not stable enough to be in the main tree, but would someday when it
> matures get included into the main tree.

Make that "if it matures".  There's no implication that contrib stuff
will ever reach that state; in fact, if it seemed close to being ready
it'd very likely have got put in the main tree to begin with...

            regards, tom lane