Re: Automatic transactions in psql - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Automatic transactions in psql
Date
List pgsql-patches
> This is an interesting idea, although you may want to give the user the
> option to customize his prompt.

Seems cool.  I am a bit worried about whether the transaction-block
detection mechanism is reliable, though.  We might need to add something
to the FE/BE protocol to make this work correctly.

>> Secondly, it adds a "begin transaction" option that, when
>> enabled, ensures that you are always inside a transaction
>> while in psql, so you can always rollback.

> This should be done in the backend.

Agreed.  If I recall recent discussions correctly, the spec says that
certain SQL commands should open a transaction and others should not.
It's not reasonable to have that logic in psql rather than the backend.

            regards, tom lane