Re: [HACKERS] Developers Globe (FINAL) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Developers Globe (FINAL)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck) writes:
>     I checked that it works with Netscape 4.05 and MS-IE 4.0.
>     Does anyone have problems with it?

It fails rather spectacularly for me --- I'm watching a Netscape image
placeholder icon bounce around the empty frame as if it were a ping-pong
ball.  Kinda fun to watch actually, but I'm sure it's not the intended
effect.  It's sucking up an unreasonable percentage of my CPU, too.

This is Netscape 4.08 for HPUX, auto image load off, and I currently
have Javascript but not Java enabled.  With Javascript off (my more
usual browsing setup, but I chanced to leave it on today) the page
behaves a lot more reasonably; I get one placeholder that I can click on
if I feel like looking at the graphic.

I realize that you spent a good deal of time on that "flashing dot"
effect, but I'd counsel you to forget it.  It doesn't add a darn thing
to the useful content of the page --- the red dots are perfectly visible
without flashing.  (You could make them a tiny bit bigger and brighter,
if you find them marginal.)  What it *will* do is create all sorts of
portability headaches, of which you've seen only the beginning; you
have not tried to get it to work across multiple browser versions or
multiple platforms, to say nothing of browsers other than the Big Two.
"I hacked it till it worked on the two browsers I use" is just about the
definition of bad Web design in my book.  You'd be embarrassed to ship
C code that unportable --- why are you willing to accept it in HTML?