Re: CVS commit messages and backpatching - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: CVS commit messages and backpatching
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> FYI, in going through the release notes, I would like to remind
> committers that it is important to mention if the commit was backpatched
> to any earlier release.  Not only is this valuable for making the
> release notes, but it also helps people looking at the commit message.

With the standard output from cvs2cl, this is pretty obvious anyway, no?
I see entries like

* contrib/tsearch2/: tsvector.c (REL8_1_STABLE), tsvector.c: Removepos comparison in silly_cmp_tsvector(): it is not a
semanticallysignificant

so it seems to me that explicit mention of back-patching is mostly
redundant.  (Of course, this requires the committer to commit all the
branches at about the same time, which I make an effort to do precisely
so that the cvs log looks nice.  If some time elapses between patching
and back-patching then a mention in the commit message is definitely
needed.)