Re: Configuration of statistical views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Configuration of statistical views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck <JanWieck@yahoo.com> writes:
>> backend start/stop events probably need to be reported whenever the
>> postmaster variable is set, even if all the USERSET variables are off.

>     I  don't consider backend start/stop messages to be critical,
>     although we get  some  complaints  already  about  connection
>     slowness  -  well, this is somewhere in the microseconds. And
>     it'd be a little messy because the start message is  sent  by
>     the backend while the stop message is sent by the postmaster.
>     So where exactly to put it?

This is exactly why I think they should be sent unconditionally.
It doesn't matter if a particular backend turns its reporting on and
off while it runs (I hope), but I'd think the stats collector would
get confused if it saw, say, a start and no stop message for a
particular backend.

OTOH, given that we need to treat the transmission channel as
unreliable, it would be a bad idea anyway if the stats collector got
seriously confused by not seeing the start or the stop message.