Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Date
Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning  (Kevin Hunter <hunteke@earlham.edu>)
List pgsql-performance
Carlos Moreno <moreno_pg@mochima.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> But
>> the fundamental problem remains that we don't know that much about
>> how the installation will be used.

> Notice that the second part of my suggestion covers this --- have
> additional switches to initdb

That's been proposed and rejected before, too; the main problem being
that initdb is frequently a layer or two down from the user (eg,
executed by initscripts that can't pass extra arguments through, even
assuming they're being invoked by hand in the first place).

            regards, tom lane