Re: pgadmin - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Owen Jacobson
Subject Re: pgadmin
Date
List pgsql-sql
Mark Fenbers wrote:

> I'm having trouble with installing pgadmin.  If this is not the
> apporpriate group for seeking help with this, please excuse
> me and tell
> the correct one.  I have not found anything else more appropriate.
>
> 'make' for pgadmin fails, I think it is because I don't have
> wxWidgets.
> wxWidgets fails.  I think it is because I don't have Motif/Lesstif.
> Lesstif fails because of another large list of dependencies.
> For Pete's
> sake!  Do I have to double the size of my Operating System (which is
> Linux, Redhat 9, BTW) just to install pgadmin?  I've
> installed lots of
> software packages over the years, mostly through the
> ./configure;make;make install sequence, but this is the most
> difficult
> installation I've ever encountered.  I don't have a stripped down
> version of the O/S either... it's pretty much a full install of RH9.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas I could try?

Find and install an RPM (or an SRPM) for pgadmin, rather than installing it from the source tarball?  The pbone RPM
searchsuggests that there are such things, though they may be a few versions behind*.

When I was using redhat 9, I found that apt-rpm was invaluable; the lack of any other automatic dependency resolution
toolsdid rather make RPMs a pain.

-Owen

* for Redhat 9.  There's more-recent pgadmin packages for Fedora, which may have spec files you can make use of to
buildan RPM for older Redhat.